I have completed the second journal cover for the swap with Unlimited Textiles. This one is going to Fiona. The colour scheme was chosen very much with her in mind as she loves very vibrant pinks. I have posted photos of the beginnings of the journal. Calico as the base and then layers of strips of dyed silk, organza and silk tops. I then covered the whole piece with a chiffon scarf. I then free machined over this adding small bits of fabric and a few patterns from my machine. Handsewn couched threads, french knots, cretan and herringbone stitch were done in a variety of threads and beads added. I then lined the embroidered piece with dyed calico. A handmade cord was attached to the edge of the cover and finally the completed journal cover was tied with a beaded cord.
Tuesday, 29 May 2007
Am actually a bit ahead of myself for once and have completed the first journal cover for the swap in June for Unlimited Textiles. My daughter and friends are throwing a surprise birthday party/sleepover for another of their friends - we are awaiting the arrival of seven giddy teenagers so I am shutting myself away in my workroom and hopefully I will be able to make the second journal for the swap.
Monday, 28 May 2007
Spent the day messing about with a piece of silk paper I had made a while ago and turned it into this hat. More of a crown really I suppose. Quite enjoyed just developing it as I went along. Anyway this will be taken to my daughter's school with others I have made.
Sunday, 27 May 2007
I promised my friend Ali that I would post some of my drawings and recent art exercises. So here are a few I have done whilst researching African jewellery. Hopefully I will be incorporating some of these patterns in my next textile work but I think with a change of colour from pink!
Friday, 25 May 2007
I have decided to post pictures of a couple of the hats I have made in the past. This has been prompted by the fact that I have been asked by my daughter's school to go in and show one of their classes the hats I have made. The children are to make a hat for design and technology. I feel quite honoured that I have been asked and this has fired my enthusiasm to design and make more. The two shown here were made for drama productions at the school. The crown for Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland and the witch's hat for the Flower Witch in the Snow Queen. Of course I also had to make the rest of the costumes to go with the hats. I had great fun designing and making them. The latest costumes I made were for the drama production of The North Pole Goes Rock and Roll. These included all the hats for the elves, 'rock and roll elves' and elves' outfits and headdresses but in the style of the teletubbies! It was quite a task but very enjoyable and the production was a great success.
Tuesday, 8 May 2007
This is the first quiltie for the swap in May. The theme is layers. I am having fun researching layers - layers of peeling paint, peeling bark on trees and rock layers. This piece is made from layered tissue and torn papers sponged all over with koh-i-noor dyes. When dry I free machined it in areas and added some handstitching using silk thread.
Sunday, 6 May 2007
This is my other bookmark for the swap this month. I have named it Friendship. The background is painted watercolour paper. I then layered painted fabric and ribbon on top, machine sewing them onto the paper. Braiding was machined onto sides and hearts and flowers glued on. The tassel is twisted knitting ribbon with a heart charm threaded on. As she will have guessed from the name this bookmark will be on its way to my swap partner http://alis-clair.blogspot.com/ very soon. It is named Friendship in honour of my long lasting and wonderful friendship with Ali. I have known Ali for more years than we care to say and there are no words that can express the gratitude I have for her friendship and support over the years. I hope this bookmark will remind her of that friendship and the colours of the beach and sea that give her so much inspiration. Thank you Ali.
Tuesday, 1 May 2007
Here is the first bookmark for the swap with other members of Unlimited Textiles for May. I made it by layering organza, chiffon and silk paper onto iron on vilene then machine stitching all over. Threads and handmade cords were machined down the middle of the bookmark. Beads were added and a handmade cord was sewn around the edges.